Thursday, June 26, 2014

Deciding on a DNR is Very Personal

The DNR
 
If I had a disease and it would costly to my family, and the people who work in the healthcare system say it’s hopeless today, I might say let me go.  No acts of heroism to pump my body up with chemicals just to “get another few months”.
But as a watch someone who is dying, my thoughts change drastically.  Fight this thing his loved ones are thinking and sharing amongst themselves.  Even though the patient knows how serious his health is, he wants to live.  He wants to be with his new wife.  He wants o play his music.  Giving up means never again.  Shouldn’t we be permitted to put up that fight without others judging?
It’s such a personal time.  A DNR (order that means do not resuscitate) can be changed over and over.  It will be honored.  It’s not for outsiders to judge.  Not for the advocate to have an opinion.  It’s not for the nurses to decide or doctors to decide.  It’s hard enough to want to fight – who knows if there are miracles. Sometimes thats all we have to hope for.
 
Information about the DNR:

1 comment:

The Contessa said...

This one too! I’m glad our stories were shared! And by a trusted friend ❤️