Monday, December 1, 2008

Happy Holidays?

For people who have traveled the road of medical injury or loss of family because of the medical treatment they received, there is very little, if any support system out there for them.

I remember going to The Compassionate Friends, a support group for parents who lost children, following the death of what was my only child years ago. This group was a life saver for me but our friends were now much older because people my age were having children and had children to be with for the holidays. The people I was drawn to had adult children out of the house and were available to go to Atlantic City on Christmas Day; a place where there were no children.

There are support systems in place for survivors of suicide, murder victims and domestic abuse. There is support for the gay community, war veterans, breast cancer survivors and people who are overweight. But many of these people are satisfied with the medical team and just as I found when I went to The Compassionate Friends, the healthcare system helped them through their troubled times.

As we move to develop a stronger support system for medical injury survivors, we also need to recognize that there is a need for this support for those left behind or living every day with the reminder that the system they trusted to help them, didn’t.

No comments: