Friday, October 5, 2007

Night Shift

I recently spoke to the evening and night shift at a local hospital. I was really surprised to find that the staff weren’t very familiar with the patient safety information that is offered to the patient upon admission to the facility. Some of the questions I ask, and they can win prizes for answering correctly, is information taken directly from the admissions office, usually information found in the Speak Up brochure tucked nicely into a folder.

At first I thought they were just being shy and not responding. But then I realized it really was foreign to them.

There is no point in even trying to blame anyone or any system for this missing piece. Obviously this health system cares enough about the potential problems that could arise to ask me to come in. What did bother me is that how many healthcare institutions aren’t aware of the lack of information getting to their night shift when it comes to patient safety information, or any other important information. I hope they are reading this!

No comments: